A start of a fresh new year; I like to spend my first week of a new year reflecting on my last and using my learnings to propel me forward into becoming an even better me. Everybody has their own ways of coming to their resolutions but I thought I’d share mine in case you may find something useful to takeaway.
I just love cuddling up on the couch with a nice warm cup of tea during the winter months with my dog and a journal to spill my thoughts into. Looking back on an entire year can seem like a lot. I recommend settling your mind with a 10 minute meditation to drown out the external noise and draw your awareness inward. Light a candle, sit on a pillow or bolster, find a comfortable position, close your eyes, and start focusing on your breath. Let the thoughts come and go. Simply be the observer and breathe through your heart. Imagine a light at the center of your chest that continues to glow brighter with each breath until it spreads and touches every corner of the room. Sit open-hearted, honest, and patient as you begin to reflect on the past and imagine your future.
The focus of the first part of your journaling session will be on reflection. Here are a few questions that’ll help get you started:
- What are some of my biggest accomplishments in 2013? What am I most proud of?
- Has fear, procrastination, or self-doubt held me back in any way?
- Where do I feel stuck?
- What are some things I’d like to let go of?
- What are some of my biggest lessons learned?
- How have I improved the lives of those around?
- What are some things I’d like to do more of or try?
Looking back at all that, what do I want to carry over with me into the new year?
- What are some things I’d like to do more of?
- Who are the people I’d like to spend more time with?
- What kinds of people do I want to surround myself with that will be supportive and conducive to my growth?
- What are some things I need to remove from my life?
- What do I want to accomplish this year?
In the next part, I like to reset and realign my goals for what I want in 10 years, 5 years, and 1 year from now. Work backwards in time and write as if it were in the present. Lululemon has a great visions and goal worksheet to help with this process. Let me know how it goes!
Lastly, always develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that has happened, knowing that every step forward is a step towards achieving something greater, bigger and better. Let it begin!
Happy New Year!